[Noisebridge-discuss] Android rooting resources?

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 22:12:12 UTC 2010

If you are on tmobile and buy the phone outright you can get their
unsubsidized rate.  That discount is worth about $20/month.  So a
subsidized smart phone is around $200, plus a $80/month plan over 2
years.  If you buy the phone for around $500, your monthly is now $60
instead, and you save $480 on the plan over 2 years.  The subsidy is
worth around $300 so you are actually saving $180 over 2 years.  Yes
inflation messes this up a bit :-)

I have the n1 and I unlocked it, HTC will honor the hardware warranty.
 I am running CM right now, and it is great.

Most of the other phone roots involve model specific flaws.  Since you
can always force a downgrade, if there was even just 1 rom with a hole
in it the phone is rootable.  I did this to my older G1.

However the N1 supports loading your own roms into any of the multiple
firmware spaces without hacking.  It's pretty cool, but the phone is
rapidly becoming obsolete and I dont think we'll see another phone
like it in a long time sadly.

-ryan