[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-piracy / anti-Pirate Bay law currently in Congress

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Mon Sep 27 03:43:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:17:20PM -0700, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Sai <sai at saizai.com> wrote:
> > TL;DR: if media company convinces court that a site is for piracy,
> > they can get it completely blacklisted by US DNS servers & registrars,
> > and blacklisted from any payment systems.

> They still don't understand. They start killing piracy sites? Tor is
> not hard to use, the masses are just waiting on a reason to use it. A
> Tor hidden service is plenty fast to run a torrent site on, and
> extremely difficult to take down. It's an arms race, and the pirates
> can move faster than their corporate and government adversaries.

BTW, using bittorrent over tor was, last I checked, considered
un-excellent behavior by tor exit node operators.  I assume you're
talking 'bout just hosting the .torrent files on a server there, which
is fine.

Maybe this is a time to revive the "alternate DNS roots" idea.
Some of us already do bogus TLDs for VPN purposes; it would be pretty
easy to migrate over, should something useful arise.

Alternic es muerta - Viva la alternic!

PS: I'm considering doing a talk on VPNs for the next BAHA meeting;
LMK off-list if you'd be interested.