[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-piracy / anti-Pirate Bay law currently in Congress

Ryan Castellucci ryan.castellucci at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 19:17:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Sai <sai at saizai.com> wrote:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20016995-261.html?tag=mncol;5n
> http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804 (click 'full text')
>
> TL;DR: if media company convinces court that a site is for piracy,
> they can get it completely blacklisted by US DNS servers & registrars,
> and blacklisted from any payment systems.
>
> Obvious next steps:
> a) they remove other undesirable things from the 'net (e.g. porn,
> pro-pot advocacy, political dissidents, hackers...)
> b) we completely blacklist US-based registrars, DNS servers, & payment systems

Note: I do not advocate or condone piracy.

They still don't understand. They start killing piracy sites? Tor is
not hard to use, the masses are just waiting on a reason to use it. A
Tor hidden service is plenty fast to run a torrent site on, and
extremely difficult to take down. It's an arms race, and the pirates
can move faster than their corporate and government adversaries.

--
Ryan Castellucci http://ryanc.org/