[Noisebridge-discuss] Headphone (extension)cable with compact right-angle 3.5mm plug

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Apr 15 19:04:02 UTC 2011

When plugging into the 3.5mm audio jack on the side of my X40
ThinkPad, I find a compact right-angle plug is important, as
a regular headphone plug sticking straight out really gets in
the way. My hands tend to rest off to the side, and a plug
sticking straight out interferes with that.

Whenever plugging headphones into this laptop, I use an old
Sony 1M long headphone extension cable with a right-angle
3.5mm stereo plug that protrudes just 9mm. Not for the
extension, but just to have a minimally protruding plug. I'm
concerned this cable might break at some point, so I'm looking
for either another extension cable with such a compact plug
body, and/or any cable with a compact right-angle plug on the
end that I can mod into an extension cable or graft onto my
headphones. Most of the right-angle plugs I've seen are rather
bulky, protruding 15-20mm or more.

Here's more or less what I'm looking for, but seems sub-standard
per the reviews, and maybe too bulky as well:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Right-Female-Headphone-Extension/dp/B002QWKSX4

I'm thinking what might provide the best quality & most compact
right-angle plug is to get a replacement cable for the Dr. Dre
headphones by Monster Cable, and modify it:

Monster Beats Studio by Dr.Dre Replacement Headphone Cable 7FT
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/pro-audio-equipment-2/monster-beats-studio-by-dr-dre-replacement-headphone-cable-7ft

(trying to determine if that's an "official" replacement cable)

An additional advantage of right-angle plugs is that they
don't act like big levers that exert undue force on the jack
if the cable gets yanked. I wish more headphones came with
nice right-angle connectors.

Any thoughts on where to obtain compact, right-angle 3.5mm
stereo jacks? Anyone with some broken Dr.Dre headphones who'd
be up for selling the cable?

John

--
John Magolske