[Noisebridge-discuss] Suggestions on Pandora alternatives?

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:27:30 UTC 2011

Whoops; realized I just responded to Sean... (still slowly making way through sites)

I really appreciate the suggestions.  Giving things a whirl...

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Sean Cusack wrote:

> Try giving thesixtyone a go. The itnerface is weird and a little too flashy IMO, but I generally like a lot of the options they have (once you can figure out where to find them). It operates exclusively inside a browser window.
>
> Sean

Hmm; looks promising... though seems not to like flashblock (not even seeing the "run it anyhow" button).  or maybe something with firefox.

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:18 PM, Casey Callendrello wrote:

> I've had a lot of luck with last.fm. You can use their flash-based
> player for free, or you can pay for API access. There are multiple
> third-party GPL last.fm clients.
>
> Personally, I've used Clementine (a fork of Amarok) which has a
> functional plugin.

Played with last.fm a while ago; will give it another whirl.

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:34 PM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:
>
>> You can also try grooveshark! Their video ads crash me sometimes but no audio ads, and you can actually choose what music you listen to.  While I love last.fm's music selections, I think their ad selections could use a little help (ie, people who are listening to Patti Smith might not want to hear, over n over, an iphone ad describing an anniversary as 'the most important thing a man could remember' ugh!)

Hmm; another one that doesn't play at all with flashblock.  may have to d/l a new copy of chrome as a backup browser & give it a shot...

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Ian McKellar wrote:

> I work there, so I'm biased, but I really like the product. There's a 7 day free trial too. Oh, and for $10/mo you can listen on your smartphone / tv / etc...
>
> Ian

At least this one i get more of an idea of what it's going to be like, even if I'm not able to use the flashblock "go ahead and run it" button... also looks promising, though i would like an auto playlist generation thing... might well be worth it...

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Ken Adler wrote:
>
>> Support the locals :  SOMA-FM
>>
>> While you can't "Create your own station" there are a bunch of different (commercial free) channels.   My faves are Drone Zone and Groove Salad.

I do listen to soma sometimes, and appreciate it, though after a couple of hours i just can't listen any longer... (tend to also be a Groove Salad listener).

On Apr 7, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Rameen wrote:

> Have you considered listening to live streaming of local college and listener supported stations? Kalx, kzsu, kfjc, kscu, ksjs... You can't pause or move forward, but you can call djs and make suggestions ^_^

Sure (though actually when i go for radio i tend to be an NPR listener... and go to KEXP or WHYY for streaming rather than local).  I don't do so well over long hours though with listening to radio style playlists... also hate having my concentration broken with ads & chatter inserted into music.

It's a bit sad; I was actually pretty happy with Pandora for going to sleep in my noisy hood (just base everything on global communications), and in my studio where I work long hours alone and need noise to stay sane... and was actually planning on moving up to a subscription before it became known that they scrape mobile devices... (even though I really don't care about having pandora on my phone, I consider it unforgiveable to pull that kind of crap, so cancelled my account).

Funny thing is, I own almost all the music that was playing on all the different "stations" I listened to, but I appreciated having it nicely mixed up, and occasionally found a new band that I liked (and in several cases bought the albums).  And it was always nice when coming across names of acts that i hadn't heard of to toss them in and see what it led to (found some more that way).