[Noisebridge-discuss] Self Defense

Rameen emprameen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 03:39:55 UTC 2011

This makes sense to me. Although, I disagree that weapons necessitate a
"level,"  and that practicing sparring is not a legitimate self-defense
practice.

Krav Maga implements the use of weapons early on in training because it's
practical. If someone got violent at Noisebridge, it's likely they'd find a
nice heavy object to swing if they really wanted to cause harm. They also
teach basic sparring tactics, because it's likely someone will engage you in
that way if they are attempting to attack you.

Bruce, what you describe sound like Aikido and/or Jeet Kune Do. Both of
them, I believe, were developed, or hacked from other martial arts. People
studied and learned what existed, and changed it to optimize-- Aikido seems
to be very passive, but also assertive. There weren't any strikes or
attacks, and we only learned how to perform techniques by doing the move on
an "attacker," who would engage us. Being the attacker teaches and requires
knowledge of the technique for efficacy in defense and to help teach the
move.

Not everyone will want to study and maintain an attitude like yours, Bruce,
however effective in the long-term.
 I think people are more interested in beginning some learning. Is it so
terrible to want to learn some bits of martial arts here and there, like how
to manipulate certain types of attacks that are likely to occur, or use some
weapons to enable less skilled or outnumbered individuals to defend
themselves? In fact, if people are serious about self-defense, I'd recommend
carrying  pepper spray or the like (I'm interested in hearing about these
flashlights and other high tech weapons!)

As for learning at Noisebridge-- Aikido which I participated in involved
being thrown, which is a very practical and realistic way of stopping an
attack. It's pretty important to learn to roll on mats, and shouldn't
require anyone feeling pain.

It's possible to practice "listening" exercises as used in Tai Chi or
Aikido, like push-hands technique, without being thrown.
There are lots of basic stances and principles that can be discussed or
practiced.
But, I think these are not ideal ways to learn to seriously defend oneself.