[Noisebridge-discuss] Self Defense

Bruce Wolfe brucewolfe.sf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:45:50 UTC 2011

Rameen,
I agree with what you say with the exception that learning some move to
protect oneself in the Mission. It's a little misleading as most people do
not have natural composure to be able to use any technique or form when a
confrontation arises. Some email threads demonstrate that alone.

I am not saying don't learn any martial art techniques but to, at least,
understand your body and mind, and them what your energy feels like first so
those moves will actually work.

Additionally, nothing about what I suggest is "passive" and void of martial
art or principles. It's of the internsl school of martial art of which
Aikido, Jeet Kun Do, Hapkido, Xingyi, etc., are members of.

Bruce Lee's famous principles of JKD is another good example of how
important the internal work is before external: Form is no form.
Understanding oneself is essential for effectiveness of the martial art.

I just find after all the years of practice from Judo to Shotokan to Goju
Ryu to Praying Mantis and other External School Kung Fu styles to T'ai Chi
and other Chinese Internal School styles that understanding how to get your
soup to stir the spoon.

Finally, I'm not interested in debating what should/could/would be taught as
a meaningful experience that speaks to all at every level of skill. I'm just
interested and making an offer to share what I know as an element of the
whole exercise.

If concensus is not interested that's okay. I'm just making the offer with
some substance of its efficacy.

Bruce