[Noisebridge-discuss] Kinect hacking/mapping?

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Sun Apr 10 02:16:03 UTC 2011

On 4/9/11 7:05 PM, Mitch Altman wrote:
> This sounds really promising for making 3d scans.  Wouldn't it be cool
> to be able to get a 3d scan of something and then print it out in a
> MakerBot?
>
> I took a look at the kinecthacks.com link -- I couldn't find out there
> how it works, or why they call it "RGB-Demo".  Is it using
> Red-Green-Blue light to somehow?  Or, does "RGB" in this case stand
> for something different?

There's at least two cameras and 3 modes on there.  There's a typical
RGB output format, just like you'd expect, red, green, blue, but there's
also an output format where each pixel is represented by a "depth"
number.  I suspect the name RGB-Demo is a play on the RGB-D output
name.  Those output formats seem to be made from a set of custom
on-board hardware, at least one of which is produced by the camera
putting out a grid of IR dots and the second (IR) camera is using the
deformation of those dots to estimate shapes and depth.

Ah, from the wiki page:

"The depth sensor consists of aninfrared
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared>laser
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser>projector combined with a
monochromeCMOS sensor
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_pixel_sensor>, which captures video
data in 3D under anyambient light
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Available_light>conditions"

and they call the IR dot field "infrared structured light".  The company
that made the onboard sensor has an open driver kit, but the
libfreekinect people have figured their own out from the usb protocol.

Most annoying for me is that they use a weird USB plug that provides
12v, and requires either a horrible hack job or at least using the AC
injector to break it back out to regular 5v USB.