[Noisebridge-discuss] game night

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Apr 22 22:45:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 03:30:17AM -0700, Evan Bangham wrote:
> There was some youths, drinking beers and partying at the space on Friday
> April 22 from 1:30am to 3:00am. Its my understanding that noisebridge
> shouldn't be used as a damn night club,

Definitely, I think we're all in agreement on that.

> and that bringing a bunch of people
> who are unknown to noisebridge into the space just to drink beers, wrestle
> with each other and be generally obnoxious is not excellent.
>
> These guys were stumbling around, knocking shit over, perusing all the
> electronics and doing who knows fucking what. Seriously, fuck that shit.

Agreed, that sucks.  When I see behavior like that, I like to introduce
myself to the offenders and try to get their read on the situation.
Good questions for example are --

"Hi, I'm Andy!  I don't think we've met?"

"Is this your first time at Noisebridge?  It is?  Cool, can I show you
around?"

"How'd you hear about Noisebridge?  We're always on the lookout for new
members who want to work on interesting problems, so I like to keep
track of where people hear about us!"

"Hey guys, please don't hang out on the fire escape, because the cops
like to make a ruckus if they see people hanging out there."

Simply interacting with people on a one-to-one basis can often defuse
seriously douchey behavior.

-andy