[Noisebridge-discuss] Electromyography and Temporomandibular Joint Disorder

Scotty Allen scotty at scottyallen.com
Tue Apr 26 22:30:11 UTC 2011

If you haven't already, you might also look into trigger points as a
potential cause/exacerbation. I haven't dealt with TMJ directly, but
trigger points were the key to solving some chronic neck pain for me,
and I've heard they're often very integral to TMJ as well.  Trigger
points are basically just sections of muscle that gets all balled up
due to continually being in a contracted state, and they cause crazy
amounts of pain, often in different areas of your body (ie, neck
trigger points causing head pain), presumably due to crosstalk in
nerves.  The best part is that they're very self treatable using
massage.  It's pretty rapid feedback so it's easy to experiment with.
 I'd recommend grabbing a copy of The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook
(http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759/),
and seeing if it makes any impact for you.  The workbook gives a bunch
of good anatomy lessons on where common trigger points occur, what
sort of pain they tend to cause, and how to massage them to try and
get them to calm down.

Hope that helps!

-Scotty