[Noisebridge-discuss] interesting DIY blurb of DIY in the 3rd world

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sat Aug 13 02:29:35 UTC 2011

I was very interested in seeing this project work in SF. I only had the time
to watch/lurk passively. Did we get something like this working? Has anyone
gotten this to the "recipe" level? (i.e., here's a set of directions on how
to set up a reflector to reflect from the Mission/NB)?

Glen

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM, girlgeek <girlgeek at wt.net> wrote:

> **
> Thank you Mitch.  I had already been wondering how such an item would work.
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/detail?entry_id=92429 .  I'll
> be trying to replicate this at NB within the next week or 2.  If anyone who
> has a vague idea what they are doing wants to work on this with me, please
> let me know.
> -Claudia
>

> On 7/6/2011 3:56 PM, Mitch Altman wrote:
>
>  Interesting blurb from SFGate about DIY in the 3rd world:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/detail?entry_id=92429
>
> DIY internet spreading through Middle East and Africa
> Did you know that people in Kenya, Afghanistan and Pakistan are building
> their own wireless networks out of found materials? Just $60 of everyday
> items such as wood, cans, plastic tubs, wires and car batteries can provide
> internet service for hundreds of people. It's like the "telephone" of your
> youth and the best *MacGyver* episode ever, all rolled up into one.
>
> Courtesy MIT's Fab Lab
>
>  It works like this: A single commercial wireless router is mounted on
> radio frequency reflectors and covered in a metal mesh. Another
> router/reflector pair is set up at a distance. The two routers establish a
> network that can be used by anybody with a reflector. To build a reflector,
> all you need is a material — wood, metal, plastic, stone or clay — that can
> mount the metal mesh. The system can be powered with an automobile battery,
> so it doesn't have to rely on fickle developing-world power grids.
> The goal is simply internet access for all. And, believe it or not,
> networks are up and running in Kenya, Jalalabad, Pakistan, and in various
> hospitals and clinics around Afghanistan. The project is supported by MIT's Fab
> Lab <http://fabfi.fablab.af/index.html>. Some of the scientists involved
> in the project are paying for it out of pocket, with some help from the
> National Science Foundation.
> It's an open-source project, so if you're interested in building a DYI
> network here in the shadow of Silicon Valley, just hit up the wiki<http://code.google.com/p/fabfi/wiki/WikiHome?tm=6>.
>
> Hat tip to Fast Company<http://www.fastcompany.com/1761891/afghanistan-fab-fi-fab-fi-wireless-mesh-network-internet>for this awesome story.
>
> Posted By: Cameron Scott<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/author?auth=264>(
> Email <green at sfgate.com>, Twitter<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/twitter/topics/contributor?q=thingreenline>,
> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/SFGreen/65448602568>) | July 02
> 2011 at 01:45 PM
>

> Read more:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/detail?entry_id=92429#ixzz1RMvHlHGe
>

> Mitch.

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
least.

-- Goethe