[Noisebridge-discuss] linux-y question. Also info on Android Tablets hooking up to FTDI devices.

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:10:19 UTC 2011

I saw the other thread about serial ports and linux and realized I should
ask my question here too (I am under the impression this is an appropriate
use of the mailing list?)

I have been messing with getting my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Android
Honeycomb tablet to talk to FTDI devices. It is apparently capable but
requires compiling and loading some kernel modules.

I followed a tutorial on building the kernel modules, got them loaded up,
and lsmod shows the module is running, but I still get "unknown USB device"
when I plug it in, I don't get a ttyUSB0 device, and dmesg shows the correct
VID and PID but claims it is not supported.

The tutorial I followed is above my comments here:
http://android.serverbox.ch/?p=285&cpage=1#comment-468

And I started a thread on XDA but haven't gotten any responses yet.

Since we all might be interested in Android devices hosting FTDI devices,
and clearly someone here knows about linux and serial a bit, I thought I'd
ask here as well.

Really my biggest questions are:
Would the module even load if I compiled it incorrectly?
And if it would not load unless it was correct, and I did compile and load
it correctly, then what else could be wrong?

Thanks.
-Taylor