[Noisebridge-discuss] linux-y question. Also info on Android Tablets hooking up to FTDI devices.

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat Aug 27 22:30:01 UTC 2011

Is there a particular reason why it has to be wired to an FTDI device?  I
assume you're looking for serial communications, and apparently it's a lot
easier to deal with bluetooth serial interfaces from android than trying
to recognize a hardware USB serial port plugged into the phone.

bluetooth serial modules are only $5 !!!!  Robby has been using one in his
phone-controlled RC car, and i'm using one on a radiation detector.  You
just solder up a couple resistors and an LED to it, and give it 3.3 volts.

Another nice thing is that you can do this even with phones that are not
rooted or jailbroken, and have no actual USB host capabilities, like the
G1 (which are available very cheaply these days)

-jake

Taylor said:

I saw the other thread about serial ports and linux and realized I should
ask my question here too (I am under the impression this is an appropriate
use of the mailing list?)

I have been messing with getting my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Android
Honeycomb tablet to talk to FTDI devices. It is apparently capable but
requires compiling and loading some kernel modules.

I followed a tutorial on building the kernel modules, got them loaded up,
and lsmod shows the module is running, but I still get "unknown USB
device"
when I plug it in, I don't get a ttyUSB0 device, and dmesg shows the
correct
VID and PID but claims it is not supported.

The tutorial I followed is above my comments here:
http://android.serverbox.ch/?p=285&cpage=1#comment-468

And I started a thread on XDA but haven't gotten any responses yet.

Since we all might be interested in Android devices hosting FTDI devices,
and clearly someone here knows about linux and serial a bit, I thought I'd
ask here as well.

Really my biggest questions are:
Would the module even load if I compiled it incorrectly?
And if it would not load unless it was correct, and I did compile and load
it correctly, then what else could be wrong?

Thanks.
-Taylor