[Noisebridge-discuss] Rob sleeping at Noisebridge - Zero tolerance for sleep time in the space

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Aug 29 01:54:58 UTC 2011

Some time mid week I was by Noisebridge and noticed a guy sleeping in a
chair in front of the electronics bench computer. I politely woke him
up, told him that we've had a problem with people sleeping in the space
and would appreciate it if he didn't sleep here and went home if sleep
was what he needed, so that others in the space wouldn't actually yell
yell at him. He said sure and continued working on the machine there,
and I left for home.

Today this person was again at the electronics bench computer. After
about an hour of hanging out here Andy and I observed him asleep again.
We woke him up, asked him his name (Rob) and to please not sleep in the
space as that's not we're about. Andy then asked him to leave with him
(as he was on his way out), Rob said that he had some work to do on that
machine and do something to some books in the library. We said ok and
asked him to not sleep there anymore and to please go home after he's
done with his work, which is to restore that computer to running Linux
again because someone else named Rob(?) formatted it.

Andy and I then proceeded to have a debate about building a web page
like you're some teen linux bunk from 1994 versus using Wordpress in
front of the bike racks. During this time Rob fell back asleep. I bid
Andy a fare well.

Went to wake up Rob again. He was asleep to the point where he was
drooling on himself. I said, "Hey look we just asked you to please not
sleep here, asked you before when I caught you sleeping here a few days
ago, and now to please go home and get a good night's rest, and you're
asleep again, it's time for you to go home now" and that turned into a
very one way conversation. He told me he doesn't remember me asking him
any such things, and I wasn't excellent for waking him up again, talking
to him when he said he had work to do. I responded that being caught
sleeping in the space three times is a very unexcellent thing and again
it was time for him to go home. He said that what would be excellent for
me was to stop talking to him and go get him a cup of coffee so he could
finish his work. Told him that he can leave that machine alone and not
finish his work and leave, if anyone complained as such for him not
finishing his work he can place the blame entirely on me and I will talk
to them (Mike Kan for instances).

Anyhow, more of that went on, to the point where I finally said he had 5
minutes to get done with whatever Russian Ubuntu install he had going
for that machine and then needed to leave. 10 minutes later he was still
giving me lip. I was fairly stern with him leaving, he said I should go
yell at the other people sleeping in the space on the couches not being
helpful like he was. I told him sleeping in front of a computer others
wanted to use and fix really wasn't helpful, and that I have a zero
tolerance policy for anyone sleeping here in the space. He stood up and
said that I should join the Good Police.

He collected his things (two bags), made a phone call through the red
payphone, and left.

I think it would be great if he could participate in the space more
awake and less asleep as I really appreciate people coming in here and
fixing computers and helping with the library. If you see him doing so
please thank him for being an awesome person. If you see him sleeping in
the space again please ask him to either actively participate awake or
to go home and sleep as it seems like he really really needs it. Might
be smart to also respond back to this thread. Rob is a tall white guy
with no facial hair.

Rob, if you're seeing this thread, please do awesome stuff in the space,
but please don't sleep here! It's wayyy ruder than someone asking you to
not sleep here three times or leaving an Ubuntu install uncompleted!

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net