[Noisebridge-discuss] TALK AND BOOK-SIGNING BY BOB ZEIDMAN AT NOISEBRIDGE TOMORROW NIGHT

Julien Bloit julien.bloit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:52:05 UTC 2011

Leaving Bob's possible opinion on patents out of the discussion, I
learned interesting stuff about patents, which I didn't know much
about. To me, one of the most interesting remarks came from the
audience when another expert insisted that patents aren't intended to
allow you to do something, but to prevent others from doing it. In
that sense, it's a monopoly tool.

Now I wonder, let's say you have an invention, and want to share it
with the community. If you don't want to file a patent, how do you
keep another company from filing it and bust you after you show your
prototype around? It seems to me like CC, as a copyright licence,
works for content and code, but does it work if you also want to
describe a method, or the idea for an invention? I guess a scientific
publication, or some serious public disclosure about the invention can
prevent a monopoly-intended patent from being filed, but I'm not 100%
sure this is a robust legal tool.

It looks like http://www.patentcommons.org/ was made for this purpose
in mind, but looking at the website's news section, the project seems
to have stopped in 2007. Has anyone heard of it before, or knows about
similar initiatives?

Julien

Julien Bloit
http://www.phonotonic.com