[Noisebridge-discuss] OT What should be a great free concert at CCRMA, Stanford, this Thursday: (fwd)

Ben Mushol ben at sixgirls.org
Fri Dec 2 21:35:15 UTC 2011

It was a stunning performance. I never thought I would use the word
stunning to describe a musical performance but I had only imagined people
manipulating sound in that way.

Speaking to some others in the audience I got the impression that creating
audio textures and compositions of that sort may be common place for
students of that program.

My impression after minimal exposure to IDM was if you took the D out and
replaced it with an N for INM that would be the closest I could get to
summarizing what was performed. Intelligent Noise Music.

After reading the program and synopsis of the pieces it appeared the
orginating samples were also elegantly simple and everything I heard was
the product of the composer's tools working on those samples. Although
performed live the pieces were semi or fully composed with some elements
of improvisation and the freedom for variation. One piece involved a
performer in Belgium performing on a guiter fed live over the network to
the sound engineers who crafted the audio output into the space. Any
latency was part of the performance.

And all done apparently with the open source tools used by the CCRMA
program which can easily be placed on any old laptop with minimal hardware
resources compared to say an i7 macbook pro and Logic 9.

NegativeWobblyLand was also mindblowing and inspiring. Analog feedback
generated live improvisational performance.

They are performing again next weekend in Berkely at a museum. I will post
to list with the details when I find them for anyone who is interested.

It appears noisebridgers could build such devices as their "boopers" out
of things like AM radios and any device with analog circuits and lastly I
realized why I stopped liking jungle and drum n bass very much in 1997. As
the genre evolved from what I considered breakbeat hardcore it didn't take
the original sounds and "magic" with it.

Perhaps it is time to put the analog feedback back into breakbeat
hardcore...

I strongly encourage anyone who enjoys that stuff to look into what CCRMA
is doing and subscribe to their mailing lists. There is another student
performance on the seventh.

Also free wine and stinky cheese... :P