[Noisebridge-discuss] ML 11/28 @ 7:00pm: Sampling in Python and Ising Models

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Fri Dec 2 16:21:48 UTC 2011

Hi Mike!

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:03:55 -0800, Mike Schachter <mike at mindmech.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> On Monday evening at 7:00pm *sharp* (note the time!) I'd like
> to present a short workshop on sampling from probability
> distributions in Python. We'll cover the very basic stuff,
> like generating random numbers and plotting their histograms
> using matplotlib.
>
> Then we'll step it up a bit and talk about Gibb's sampling for
> a fun thing called an Ising model:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ising_model
>
> We'll talk about how to sample from an Ising model and
> potentially generate really cool correlated TV noise images.
>
> Also, the restricted boltzmann machine is a type of Ising
> model that's used for deep belief nets, so learning how to
> do Gibb's sampling for an Ising model would be quite
> helpful for anyone interested in deep nets.

sadly not being physically in SF anymore, I'm very much interested in
online resources. Would be great if you could post here workshop
materials/findings/other resources once you pick up on it in January.

thx
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC