[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge board election, 2012

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Dec 31 02:30:57 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

So as has been elliptically mentioned, it's coming up to Noisebridge's
annual board election. TL;DR summary:

Nominate and accept the nomination of your peers here: https://www.
noisebridge.net/wiki/Board_Nominations_2012<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Board_Nominations_2011>
Come to the January 31st Tuesday meeting and then vote. Yes, vote! It is
bizarre but it is what our bylaws require us to do.
Our board, by tradition, if not by bylaw, follows the consensus of the
group.

<personal opinion>I like Shannon's definition of the NB board: "In general,
the board isn't called on to *do* much, but they are called on to *not* do
quite a lot -- there is a lot of legal power in the board which, as an org,
we rely on the board not to exercise."</personal opinion>

The board met once this year, to arrange the date of the election of the
next board. We also talked a little about including an election for
officers (according to our bylaws, the board selects the officers after
their own election: Noisebridge's practice is to procure officers via
consensus but it's a bit unclear how we do this. We punted the procedure to
the next board).

We  also talked around actually getting around to fixing the bylaws so we
don't have this weird impedance mismatch between our bylaws and how
Noisebridge likes to do things (we don't really like voting, our membership
definition is permissably but confusingly different from the bylaw
definition, it would be nice to embed consensus into our real bylaws, etc).

We agreed that we'd individually propose setting up a committee via the
Tuesday meeting, and then if the meeting thinks it worthwhile, consense on
the conclusions of that committee. We'd have to vote on the bylaw change
and get it cleared by the state as part of our 501(c)3 status -- it would
take a long while, but we might be able to do it by the end of the term of
the next board, in January 2013.

Board meeting notes here:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Board_meeting_2011-12-24

Most of the below is cut-and-pasted from Jof's email about the 2011
elections, and isn't changing (except for the dates).

How to nominate and/or vote:
 - Nominations are open right now. Any regular member in good standing
may put a name forward for nomination for a spot on next year's board.
If you fit this criteria and would like to make a nomination, please
enter it on this wiki page (
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Board_Nominations_2012<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Board_Nominations_2011>)
along with
your name, pseudonym, or wiki signature.

 - If you're not comfortable using the wiki, I will offer my self up
as a proxy that you can contact to have your nomination listed on
there. Please emai secretary at noisebridge.net
  with what you'd like listed. My GPG key is 0xA3FDE45E
 - Nominations will be open until 23:59 on Tuesday, January 10th.

Please also go to the wiki page to accept the nomination.

 - After the list of candidates is finalized on the 10th, we'll have
some time to mull over our decision and talk with our peers about
who's been nominated. Vote submission may also begin at this time.

 - Any regular, dues-paying member in good standing may vote.
 - Again, I'm willing to act as a proxy for vote submission.
 - The mulling-it-over / early voting period ends on Tuesday, January 31st
2011

 - On January 31st, 2011, voting will commence after our regular
membership meeting. At this time, any remaining votes can be received.

 - After all the votes have been received, someone who is neither standing
for election nor nominating will count the votes, and then announce the
results.

 - Ballots should be made in a ranked list of desired candidates. This
ranked list will be tallied using the Condorcet method (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method )

Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or
suggestions. Otherwise, please nominate whom you wish.