[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker Table

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Sat Dec 3 00:11:55 UTC 2011

Nails mean that everybody adjusts their way of working to match the new
layout; temporary affixing means that everybody spends time mucking around
with the workspace every time they want to work until it breaks (or until
people who actually want to get work done give up and let the people who
want to futz have their way).

--S

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>    seems to me that flexibility is a high value: we
> can move whatever to where ever whenever. building a
> shelf onto a table is inflexible. having a shelf to
> put on the table might work. receptacles under the
> shelf is a good idea as is some kind of lighting
> (maybe LED strips under the shelf).
>    how to get power to the table (assuming the table
> can be moved anywhere anytime)? maybe a connection
> under the table at each end?
>

> On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 16:31 -0800, Shannon Lee wrote:
> > Yeah, it seems like screwing a bar-style outlet down the center of the
> > table would work better.
> >

> > The reason we didn't do this originally, if I remember right, was that
> > people were afraid of drinks & crumbs being spilled into the outlets?
> >

> > I also like the idea of a low shelf being run length-wise over the
> > center of each table, maybe a foot off the surface, with a power bar
> > screwed to the underside of that, so you could set up scopes  or
> > monitors on the shelf and have a full work surface?
> >

> > --S
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> >         I was there!!!  The space is awesome (although weirdly like a
> >         hacker
> >         Kinkos) but these tables weren't as practical as you might
> >         think.  I would
> >         much prefer simply mounting an outlet box in the middle of the
> >         table, with
> >         four sockets on each side, or even just screwing a power strip
> >         to the
> >         table (they all have screw slots on the back)
> >
> >         as for the lighting.. i think we should see what the lighting
> >         in the space
> >         turns into first, but if tables will have their own lighting i
> >         think it
> >         should come from a single pole in the middle.  The metrix
> >         design is
> >         visually cluttered, and having light coming from right behind
> >         and
> >         above your laptop is not ideal.  It should come from higher
> >         up.
> >
> >         my BC0.0001
> >

> >         Rubin wrote:
> >
> >         https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Hacker_Table
> >
> >         Please check out the pictures I've posted. Wouldn't cost that
> >         much for
> >         us to implement this to many of our wooden tables. Anyone
> >         interested?
> >
> >         --
> >         Rubin
> >
> >         rubin at starset.net
> >

> > --
> > Shannon Lee
> > (503) 539-3700
> >
> > "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science."

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700