[Noisebridge-discuss] DEAD AIR

John Adams jna at retina.net
Mon Dec 5 04:10:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc at gmail.com> wrote:

However, this situation may be actually the case. The patriot act
> gives the US Government wide ranging powers. One of the major powers
> is the NSL and accompanying gag order.  Why a subpoena was used in the
> case you are describing is not clear, but almost certainly NSLs have
> been delivered to twitter and they have executed on it.  What else is
> in the bag of tricks?  Remember, the NSL gag orders threads are
> personal.  That means if the sysadmin who is requested to pull data
> blabs, then the federal government will put that person in jail.  Your
> legal department wont be able to do anything about it.

I understand how NSLs work. I (may have) had to respond to some of them (at
some company) but I wouldn't be able to tell you if I (did or did not.)

Warrants are used for account contacts and Subpoenas for information to
identify user accounts. The PATRIOT act allows for these requests but to
order a company to censor?

I have never seen one with that sort of a request before, ever.

-j