[Noisebridge-discuss] DEAD AIR

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Dec 5 07:10:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM, John Adams <jna at retina.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, this situation may be actually the case. The patriot act
>> gives the US Government wide ranging powers. One of the major powers
>> is the NSL and accompanying gag order.  Why a subpoena was used in the
>> case you are describing is not clear, but almost certainly NSLs have
>> been delivered to twitter and they have executed on it.  What else is
>> in the bag of tricks?  Remember, the NSL gag orders threads are
>> personal.  That means if the sysadmin who is requested to pull data
>> blabs, then the federal government will put that person in jail.  Your
>> legal department wont be able to do anything about it.
>

> I understand how NSLs work. I (may have) had to respond to some of them
> (at some company) but I wouldn't be able to tell you if I (did or did not.)
>
> Warrants are used for account contacts and Subpoenas for information to
> identify user accounts. The PATRIOT act allows for these requests but to
> order a company to censor?
>
> I have never seen one with that sort of a request before, ever.

Yeah, I'd be very interested to hear about that. NSLs are used to obtain
data, not block stuff.

<http://weev.livejournal.com/401774.html>Still, the fact that
https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/from%3Arabite returns nothing *is*
kind of weird -- an indicator of a bug, if nothing else.

I don't pretend to understand how the current terms of Weev's bail might
intersect with all of this.

d.