[Noisebridge-discuss] Shelter and housing

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Tue Dec 6 23:25:23 UTC 2011

What should happen then, Joseph?  Who should do what, exactly?

Dealing with interpersonal conflict constructively has not, in the past,
been one of Noisebridge's strengths.  I think that the big issue with all
the solutions put forward so far is that they all basically require us, as
a group, to be better at dealing with assholes than we actually are.

Noisebridge is a group of people whose principal identity is as people who
solve problems; as such, we've got a very strong tradition of having people
solve their own problems.  Avoiding confrontation and just wishing someone
would go away and leave you alone is the opposite of solving problems.

One of the ways we get away with not having a Staff or Rules or Enforcement
Mechanisms is by pushing responsibility for solving problems out onto the
people actually present when problems happen.  Maybe the real thing we
should be doing is having regular How To Deal WIth Interpersonal Conflict
classes.

--S

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Joseph Brenner <doomvox at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
>
> > It might be a good idea for him to talk with the people he's majorly
> > pissed off and figure out some resolution
>
> Um... if you've been annoyed by a drunk, that last thing you want is
> to have people pressuring you to have some sort of Serious Discussion
> with the bozo.  What you typically want is for the idiot to just leave
> you the fuck alone.
>
> My apologies if I'm projecting my own attitudes here, but really,
> don't make the problem worse by bugging the victim any further.

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700