[Noisebridge-discuss] Shelter and housing, jorgen and drama

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:41:05 UTC 2011

> Maybe the
> real thing we should be doing is having regular How To Deal WIth
> Interpersonal Conflict classes.

we do have them.

it's tuesday meeting.

over my years at noisebridge i have watched people (and had it happen to
myself) increase their interpersonal social skills by engaging with the
consensus process.

this is why, when consensus was that rob2.0 was problematic, the
solution was not an outright ban, but one that asked him to engage, and
come to a meeting or reach out to a proxy.

that is honestly why i choose to engage with occupy - because i believe
in the power of consensus process to raise the emotional intelligence of
the people involved.  Noisebridge community provided Jorgen with a safe
space to sleep and blankets to sleep under at the occupy.  He chooses
not to use them.

it has been months since i have seen jorgen sober.  i have known a lot
of alcoholics and i am not interested in enabling that behavior.  if i
felt like i would be effective at staging an intervention right now,
there is someone else in my life who i would need to do that for, who is
far more important to me.

the problem i am bringing to the community is that i am starting to feel
like noisebridge is not a productive space for me to come and work on my
projects, and i am starting to feel sketched out about being there at night.

i am open to solutions proposed by the community, but i did not get
involved with noisebridge to do homeless outreach.  i engage with the
city's homeless problem in the ways that i feel are appropriate, and
that is not the dialogue i am primarily interested in having here.  i am
interested in a dialogue about how to protect noisebridge as a safe
space to work on projects, as relates to this specific case.

R.