[Noisebridge-discuss] Friendly request to all on discussbridge....

Joshua Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 22:13:49 UTC 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 12:20 PM, Snail wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Shannon Lee <shannon at scatter.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, maestro <maestro415 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> it will be soooo excellent if folks will put actual urls with
>>> hyperlinks
>>> when putting links in their threads....
>
> I think maestro's asking that people not link text like <a href="
> https://nosebridge.net">click here!</a> and instead just post the
> url like
> so: https://nosebridge.net -- More context would have been great,
> though,
> like quoting the most recent e-mail which had an example. ;P

Also, it's a good idea to wrap a URL in angled brackets, viz.
<https://nosebridge.net> -- this helps avoid ambiguity if it gets
word-wrapped or is followed by punctuation.

Protip:  example.com is not a URL -- it's just a domain name.  And
some mail clients nowadays will mark them up as links anyway, even
though there's not necessarily an HTTP server running on TCP port 80,
even though not every domain name is a hostname, and it may not be an
actual domain name at all, like com.example.java.namespace or
Boost.Thread or document.URL or comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
or even MAKE.MONEY.FAST -- but some mail clients *don't* engage in
this brokenness, so if you only write "example.com", then users can't
click to visit it.

Josh