[Noisebridge-discuss] predator drone fights cattle rustlers

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Tue Dec 13 03:30:01 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 06:55 PM, John Menerick wrote:
> Better yet, outsource the piloting to a third party based out of
> <insert 3rd world country name here>
>
> Sent from my HTC EVO
>

> On Dec 12, 2011, at 6:05 PM, John Adams <jna at retina.net
> <mailto:jna at retina.net>> wrote:
>
>> <devil's advocate>
>> Would it be ok if this was a guy in a helicopter searching for people
>> instead of remote?
>> </devil>
>>
>> -john

I think the pertinent question is not "would it be ok" but "would it be
practically possible", and the answer is no, it would be prohibitively
expensive for local law enforcement to keep people in the air for 14 or
20 hour stretches.

“Waiter! Waiter! What’s this robot doing in my soup?”
“It looks like he’s performing human tasks twice as well, because he
knows no fear or pain.”
-- http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/jokes-made-by-robots-for-robots

Considering that it has been established by US courts that things
visible from public airspace aren't subject to 4th amendment
protections, why shouldn't every law enforcement agency begin keeping
fleets of autopiloted UAVs up 24/7 as soon as they can afford to? And,
while we're thinking about how ok or not that is, what are (or should
be) the limitations on the general public using the same technology to
record video and sensor data?

We live in interesting times, and they're getting even interestinger.

~leif