[Noisebridge-discuss] predator drone fights cattle rustlers

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:59:05 UTC 2011

On Dec 12, 2011 6:06 PM, "John Adams" <jna at retina.net> wrote:

> <devil's advocate>
> Would it be ok if this was a guy in a helicopter searching for people
instead of remote?
> </devil>

Well, it wouldn't be new. We already know its too expensive to keep
helicopters aloft indefinitely - helicopters are heavy and inefficient,
fuel is expensive, and helicopter pilots get sleepy.

But make a small light unmanned drone and you can lower your operating
costs per hour by a factor of 10 or even 100.

Then it starts to make more sense to keep them up longer, or fly more, etc.

That's when it gets interesting. Not necessarily good or bad, but
definitely interesting.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/10/nation/la-na-drone-arrest-20111211