[Noisebridge-discuss] [Rack] an API for Noisebridge (for America)

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Dec 15 02:30:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
>
>> Danny,
>>
>> This is *really* awesome. Nice work.
>>
>> I converted my little parallel port daemon into a proper project and gave
>> it a name and a proper Makefile: https://github.com/jof/gateman
>>
>> I've set up minotaur with a user called "gateman" that's in the "lp"
>> group (to talk to the parallel port). Right now, the daemon is manually
>> started. I hope to make this into a proper Debian package at some point
>> with an init script and all that jazz.
>>

> oho nice
>
> I wrote an upstart script that keeps the old daemon up in the event of a
> reboot. Foolishly, I put it in our existing mercurial repository for gate
> related stuff at pony.noise:/var/hg/gate/tools/hardware
>
> I'll back that out now, and push you a change on github. You might want to
> consider keeping it in the /var/hg/gate mercurial repository anyway. The
> README now points the curious to your github repository.

I finished making some code to handle ringer state subscriptions --
https://github.com/jof/gateman/commit/6eb6dd5c7b252cfadb1ba1fe82097dec8d8b4bdf
This code has not been extensively tested just yet. I suspect it should
work, but I might have fucked up a malloc() or something.

Now if you tell the gateman daemon "Subscribe.", it'll remember your
ephemeral port and IP and call you back with a "RING!" message when the
gate is run. Currently, it'll only keep track of that subscription for 60
seconds, and client applications just need to ask again to keep that up to
date.

Maybe we can figure out a smart way to broadcast "gate ringing" events via
Websockets to some code in a browser that'll blink a tab or something.

Cheers,
jof