[Noisebridge-discuss] Fantastic Fab-u-list: Inkscape Classes, were to begin?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Feb 24 16:31:03 UTC 2011

Tools beget tools, and tools need tools to be begotten.

Noisebridge, Techshop, and Boxshop all have Subtractive Fabrication tools
that use vector files to drive them.  Because of this, we have an excellent
opportunity to attract new members or donations by providing classes in
authoring vector files for these other Maker Spaces.

I have already offered Inkscape classes to Boxshop members, but I will
gladly offer these classes to anyone else.  But I don't want to own them
because I am not Noisebridge.

How do we want to proceed?

I have a curriculum in mind that's been quasi-tested.  There are some
gotchas with authoring this files that are, however, hard to teach.  Maybe
we want to start developing a set of plug ins for Inkscape that handle these
gotchas or otherwise provide useful fabrication features.

Should these classes, plugins, and other fabrication logistics be a group
effort?

Thoughts?