[Noisebridge-discuss] win scratch-off lotteries: an easier, more reliable way

Griffin Boyce griffinboyce at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 04:31:09 UTC 2011

Hack the system! =)  This reminds me of a classic animal behavior study.
The gist of it is that people/animals will do things for fun, do them until
they are satisfied, but when you add in a direct reward, they will basically
half-ass it just to get as much of a reward as possible.

I'm in it for the fun aspect of breaking a ridiculous system that most
people consider impenetrable. =)

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM, lilia <liliakai at gmail.com> wrote:

> You beat me to the punch Sai, but put another way,
>
> An easier way to [get things to eat] is to just get big
> boxes of them from around the dumpsters at convenience stores.
> The [rich] people buy most of those [things], but they're so used to
> [not starving]
> that they ridiculously buy them, [eat] off part of the [food], assume
> [no one wants the rest], and throw them away.
> If you get big boxes of them from by the dumpsters at convenience
> stores, you can take them home and finish [eat]ing them off.
> I personally had a friend that did this and consistently [consumed] several
> thousand [calories] a [day] just by taking the time to sit and [eat] off
> the thrown-away [foodstuffs].
> People routinely throw away [food items] that provide 500 [calories] or
> more.
>

> But is it hacking?
>

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 21:09, Gian Pablo Villamil <gian.pablo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Or - like Patrick - you could define the system being hacked as the
> system
> >> of selling scratchcards,
> >
> > I think this isn't really different from "the economic system". Sure,
> > you can opt out and do all sorts of optimization - like I said, one
> > can be a resourceful homeless person. FWIW I mean nothing negative by
> > "homeless person", as some of my best friends have been or are
> > currently homeless and did just fine.
> >
> > But I just don't think that's an interesting sort of hacking. To use
> > your analogy...
> >
> >> You can spend a bunch of time picking a lock, or realize that the
> >> pane of glass next to it is loose.
> >
> > ... while locksport is squarely within hacking, burglary by breaking
> > windows is just, well, uncouth - in addition to being a crime. You
> > just don't see "who can break into a door with brute force"
> > competitions at hacker cons, because it isn't *interesting*.
> >
> > I think it's safe to say though that, as you point out, Patrick and I
> > clearly have very different goals here. That's fine so long as it's
> > clear. I saw Patrick's OP as implying that my goals were his (i.e. to
> > find a flaw in lottery tickets and thereby make money exploiting the
> > system), and this provoked my peevish response.
> >
> > If he wants to find new ways to scrounge money off flaws in the
> > economic/social system, I wish him luck, but I have no desire to be
> > associated with that.
> >
> > - Sai

Be the change you want to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi