[Noisebridge-discuss] personal computers at Noisebridge (was Re: Missing Green Bike /w Red Grips.)

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Fri Feb 4 01:44:14 UTC 2011

I think "based out of" is exactly the issue.  Classrooms are for classes;
for groups that want to be able to close the door for an hour and talk about
3d modeling or their startup or whatever.  As such, they're a shared
resources, shared amongst the various groups who use Noisebridge.

Normally, the way time in the classrooms gets allocated is that a group that
is meeting a certain time looks in each space and attempts to claim one,
moving on if it seems to be "in use."  The trouble is, Turing is currently
*always* in use, because someone's always camped on that PC.

And it is very different, asking someone on a laptop to move versus asking
someone using a desktop PC to move; in the one case, you're just asking them
to free up space, taking their laptop-based activity someplace else; in the
other case, you're actually asking them to stop doing whatever they're
doing, log out, clean up, etc.  This is exactly why we had a long discussion
about Not Having Desktops In The Space, Lo These Many Years Ago At 83c.
Apparently on a night when Rachel didn't come ;)

So if someone is on the computer in Turing, nobody else will end up using
Turing for, eg, classrooms, except those who have enough of a personal
relationship with Isky to feel comfortable asking him to move; consequently
we have one less classroom at Noisebridge.

Honestly, this is really the reason I don't like the idea of there being
public terminals in Noisebridge: because it creates a space where someone is
always permanently camped; and there already is one of those, it's called
the public library.

I have several times asked Isky to move his computer out of the classroom,
and he has not done so.  Others have also asked.  What's the correct next
step?  In other cases, we've simply moved furniture, walls, etc in order to
create a more felicitous environment; is moving (or removing) a computer
different that moving (or removing) a couch?

--S

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700