[Noisebridge-discuss] Cisco 1200 AP help needed for robot

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sat Feb 5 10:07:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> So you may have noticed that the robot doesnt get out much...
>
> mostly this is because right now the robot's connection to the world is a
> crappy RTL wireless card that's a USB dongle.  And it overheats.
>
> But we have these nice Cisco 1200 access point thingies which apparently
> can be configured for use as a client - and i figured out how to power
> them but I don't know how to set them up as an AP.  They have a serial
> port for configuring them but thats about all i know.
>
> The robot runs a PC running Ubuntu so it shouldn't be too hard to get it
> to work, but i have no idea where to begin.
>
> Is someone willing to try to get one of the Cisco 1200's to work as a
> client bridge for the robot?  I will do all of the wiring up of power and
> such, but in the meantime you can just plug it into one of the POE boxes
> that have been modified to have the proper polarity for Cisco (opposite of
> 3Com of course)

It's probably a waste of time to do IOS wireless configs from scratch
by yourself, it's a specialized discipline.  If you do have to look
anything up for diagnostic purposes, be aware that Cisco's
documentation is frequently just flat-out wrong.  If you try something
in the docs and it's not working, you really don't want to try to
figure it out yourself.  That's a bottomless sinkhole for your time.

The web interface usually generates configurations which work, though.
 You might want to try that first.

By the way, I upgraded the 1200s sometime last year to a recent
revision of IOS which should be fine for your purposes.  You *really*
don't want to try to upgrade IOS without expert advice.