[Noisebridge-discuss] Develop for Privacy Challenge

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Wed Feb 9 03:55:41 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 02:51 PM, Micah Lee wrote:

> It seems like writing a custom mobile browser that has HTTPS Everywhere,
> GoogleSharing, TorButton, and AdBlock would be pretty amazing, but would
> also be really hard to do well in our spare time in a couple months.

Honestly, I think it's probably more straightforward then one might
imagine.  Deciphering some of the Javascript in a few of those addons
might be difficult, but the core logic is actually much more
straight-forward when you really control the browser.  It'd move more at
the speed of porting than at new development.  You could also do this in
a really extensible way, such that it's easy for other privacy addons to
plug themselves in.

I know it's not enough, but I've got a few grand in leftover funding
that I can throw in for the GoogleSharing bit.

> If we write a web browser we've already MITM'd them, but I'm not sure
> how realistic that is.

Totally, but most of the stuff that I currently find concerning in the
mobile environment isn't going through the browser.

- moxie

--
http://www.thoughtcrime.org