[Noisebridge-discuss] my Rube Goldberg machine

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Fri Feb 11 00:27:20 UTC 2011

The vast majority of trees used for wood pulp/paper are farmed trees, not
cut from wild sources.  Also, elemental chlorines (like dioxin) aren't used
in the vast majority of bleaching processes.

In particular, the products in the video all seem to be from Kruger, who
manufacture paper products in four plants in Canada, all of which are 100%
chlorine free, and that particular brand of paper towels (SpongeTowels) is
made from 100% recycled paper products.

It is true that there are still some old-growth trees cut for wood pulp, and
that some manufacturers still use elemental chlorines, but both are in the
10% range.  Yay 30 years of environmental movement!  If you want to be
absolutely sure, look for the TCF ("totally chlorine free") leaf-logo-thing
on your products.

We should definitely be aware of the fact that our resources are limited,
and that that 10% should be 0%.  Write your senators and congress-people.

--S

PS, that was an awesome video!

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> I support your creativity but I'm bothered by all the paper towel products
> are being wasted for this.  They are made from trees you know, and then
> they have to be bleached with dioxin (one of the most toxic substances
> known) before being packaged and shipped around the world.
>
> I'm glad you had a good time but I wish you would be more mindful of the
> planet and our effect on our environment in general before using resources
> that way.  That's why I don't go to burning man.
>
> Sorry i'm so grumpy but i have a point.
>
> -jake
>
> Eric Boyd mrericboyd at gmail.com said:
>
> Some of you may have heard about me doing this, just wanted to send along
> the link now that it's all done:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcivpFoSGg
>
> I had such a huge blast making this, and I highly recommend doing a Rube
> Goldberg machine as an *awesome* maker project.  It's like super
> concentrated making, constantly coming up with crazy ideas and seeing if
> you can make them work, and tweaking stuff endlessly.  It took us two long
> days (plus all the prep before hand buying up stuff), but all of us agree
> that it was like two of the most enjoyable days of our lives!
>
> Eric
> p.s. I miss noisebridge, glad to see you managed to overcome your
> financial difficulties!

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700