[Noisebridge-discuss] San Francisco Free School would like to Collaborate/Join Noise Bridge- host classes

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Mon Feb 14 18:34:28 UTC 2011

> Hope I don't sound like a wet blankie, because I'm a giant fan of what you guys are trying to do!
> -Sean

+1 here!

Just need to chime in that Noisebridge is "free" as in philosophically
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) not "free as in beer."
Community commons like Noisebridge or communal kitchens are very
susceptible to the tragic ill-effects of freeloading.  Noisebridge has
significant operating expenses and overhead (rent, electricity,
cleaning, waste disposal), and it's ethical as well as good form to
contribute back monetarily or in kind.

I've been asking people in my classes to chip in $5 to the donation
box to cover these. This is entirely voluntary and sliding-scale, but
if the rent isn't paid Noisebridge disappears as a resource for
everyone.