[Noisebridge-discuss] lockers for noisebridge - big enough? funding?

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Feb 17 22:05:37 UTC 2011

On 02/17/2011 12:59 PM, Albert Sweigart wrote:
> I don't necessarily agree on some points.
>
> I don't see having lockers as a bad thing. Members might simply want
> to have piece of mind if they store expensive/delicate equipment at NB
> that it won't be moved around/broken/stolen. I don't think it's fair
> to force people to trust the community (and any stranger that comes
> into the space) with their personal property on the line.

What I don't understand is, if people want to store stuff at NB while
not trusting the community, what use are easily-circumventable locks?

> As for transparency, I think that transparency is something we should
> force on public institutions, not private citizens. If someone ran a
> packet sniffer on NB's traffic and published it, I think there would
> be unanimous objection to that. Transparency isn't something that
> should be forced on people as a prereq to use the space.

Nobody is forcing anybody to store their private property in our
semi-public space. I think encouraging people to do so while giving them
the impression that locks are necessary and/or effective is a bad idea
for Noisebridge.

As to packet sniffing, I would not object to someone running a sniffer
at NB for the purpose of notifying people when they are browsing
unsecurely. I assume that less altruistic sniffing has probably occurred
at NB and probably will again, and I strongly encourage people to use
crypto to protect their private communications (and authentications) as
much on the NB network as on any other. I don't see this as
contradicting my stance on physical locks in the space at all; networks
are very different than physical spaces.

However, against my better judgment I will now analogize the two and say
that the space is kind of like a wiki, member shelves are kind of like
pages in the "User:" namespace, and lockers are kind of like pages on
the wiki which only certain users are allowed to read. (There actually
is a mediawiki extension which does that; we don't have it installed,
obviously.)

~leif