[Noisebridge-discuss] Low cost, low resolution, large LCD displays?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Feb 18 06:00:41 UTC 2011

On 2/17/11 9:04 PM, singclarity wrote:
> I've had this very same idea! It's called the WALL-O-BLOG and would only
> be difficult because most cpus and graphics cards have very sketchy
> support for more than one or two displays. Those that do are very
> expensive. Either that or we would need to use some hardware strategy to
> make the different screens seem like one big screen to the computer.

a stack of nvidia or ati cards will happily support as many displays as
they have ports in general with the upshot being the count is a multiple
of the number of 16x pci-e slots that you have. without messing around
it's easy enough to get to six I've personally done 10...

usb display-link to vga or dvi adapters do port expansion fairly well
but fall down on the bandwidth side of things.

cross display tiles (for  example displaying a movie across more than
one screen) is easy enough give driver support for a common frame buffer
across multiple gpus.