[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge vs. techshop

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 02:23:15 UTC 2011

I am going to add a column to the Wiki page that includes Kink.com.

Speaking from the perspective of having two Master's degrees (in
Business and in Tech), and also Masturbating on occasion, it's a
matter of whatever floats your boat, and helps you finish whatever you
set out to do.

No, Noisebridge can't compete with those gigantic friggin' tools that
they have at Techshop, or Kink.com. We simply don't have the room or
infrastructure, or orifices capable of handling them.

Yes, Noisebridge can compete with the resources for smaller...
everything... available at Techshop or Kink.com - heck, we even had a
fucking machine in the space last year (though it was actually...
enjoyed... by a willing volunteer from Kink.com)

If Noisebridge focuses on the smaller projects, vs. Techshop or
Kink.com, we can get more traffic, and also dodgy body fluids that
would probably be an inconvenience at either of those two places.
Amateur fetish porn can be both technical and creative, well within
our remit at Noisebridge, and could be a significant source of
funding. Or maybe not. In fact, almost certainly not, unless we
recruited participants from a pool other than the current membership.

This discussion of Noisebridge vs. Techshop vs. Kink.com provides some
immediate relief, but is ultimately not as satisfying or healthy as a
deep emotional relationship with another.

Actually I think I should add another column in order to compare with
the Pirate Shop at 826 Valencia.