[Noisebridge-discuss] colo in and around SF?

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 21:31:45 UTC 2011

Thanks for the info!

Mitch.

From: drorex at gmail.com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:02:20 -0800
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] colo in and around SF?
To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net

http://he.net/ in Fremont has some incredibly decent prices for colocation, and while it's not in SF, it's close enough that you can drive out there if something needs manual fixin'. I think I saw a quote of like $1000/month for an entire rack full of your equipment with a 100mbit dedicated line. This might be out of your range though. You can get a decent entry dedicated server (you run the entire piece of hardware, no sharing or virtualization going on) for around $200/mo these days. I've used http://www.softlayer.com/ -- no significant problems with them so far. If that's still too much, colocating an individual server (that you buy yourself) within someone else's rack usually starts around $100/month. Lower than that, you're looking at shared or virtualized hosting.

I would recommend against EC2 unless you specifically need the ability to scale up and down on a moments notice (and are willing to put in the extra work to set it up correctly). For just a standard monthly rental, EC2 costs significantly more than even a leased dedicated server, never mind a self-colo'd server. They do have a thing where you can reserve an instance on a 1 year or 3 year basis, and that brings the costs down a bit to be more in line, but don't forget they also charge you for bandwidth & storage on top of the normal hourly server rental rates. Basically it's a nice technical solution, but not cost competitive except in some niche cases (eg if 50% of the time you have zero traffic, and 50% of the time you have tons of traffic, it might really be worth it)

Also I'd recommend against anything in SF itself...you are probably paying more for the location than anything else. Also I personally got burned by a really crappy managed host in SF before, so I'm a bit biased. They're not around any more, or at least not under the same name. (All I'll say is this: When setting up our servers + a fancy SAN, the tech told us he couldn't get it to work with debian or centos, so he had to install gentoo.)