[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser cutter.

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Feb 25 20:54:35 UTC 2011

Christina Olson wrote, On 20110225 124531:
> I would actually vote in favor of CorelDraw over Inkscape, if Illustrator
> won't work with it directly.  I trust CorelDraw's ability to handle files
> properly a lot more than I trust Inkscape.  I don't see why we can't have
> both programs, though.

Don't know why folks are bringing this up for discussion, we can use
anything we like. :P

I think the big issue with Illustrator is that you can't define a
hairline thickness, which vector based devices interpret as a simple
line to do a single pass over. If you define anything with a weight
greater then a hairline, the cutter will attempt to cut everything out
of where the line is, which kind of sucks. With CorelDRAW however you
totally can do this.

> Also if we are using a laptop, it is possible to get one of those laptop
> cable lock doodads and just lock the laptop to the printer itself?  Would
> make it really obvious if someone were to deliberately steal it.

From experience, sticking a sign on the laptop with "For laser cutter,
please don't repurpose, thanks!" written on it will be more helpful then
a tempting pad lock at Noisebridge.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net