[Noisebridge-discuss] bios sees hard drive, but won't offer it as a boot option

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:24:00 UTC 2011

Good ideas both. I had tried both removing the optical drive, and I did
make sure the hard disk was configured as the master. No luck.

The way the user guide is phrased, the IDE controller is for "optical
drives and tape backup", suggests that perhaps they never intended for a
hard drive there, let alone to boot from it. It would seem odd to
explicitly leave that out of the boot source options, but perhaps that
explains it.

I'll see if I can find a free SATA drive. Perhaps I can boot off a small
SATA drive, and then mount the large drive on the IDE channel.

(I should point out that after booting Linux from a live CD, I had no
trouble seeing, mounting, and installing to the hard drive.)