[Noisebridge-discuss] Door Access Control

Albert Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 07:51:56 UTC 2011

I have to agree with Ryan. This seems like a lot of effort in the
wrong direction. First, anyone with a physical key will be able to
bypass this system (or simply tailgate, or push the buzzer to be let
in, or use the web url to buzz the gate). Second, what is it that we
want to accomplish by having a logging system for the door? It can't
really prevent theft, and since Noisebridge is 24 hours for people to
work on projects, there's no time when we'd want to close off access.

As far as remote access, we already can remotely buzz the door from
the internet.

Who would want to maintain the user database? Especially when
something happens and the database is broken, or offline, or needs to
be updated? Who will be the point person to replace badges when people
lose them?

I see a lot of costs but no clear benefits.

-Al