[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge-discuss: mailing list versus forum system

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Thu Jan 27 06:00:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 21:41 -0800, aestetix aestetix wrote:
> > I'd really not rather use something that's not locally hosted. What if
> > their system had a malfunction and we couldn't get access to
> > troubleshoot it? Also, global politics aside, I don't like someone who
> > is not a Noisebridger having the "god key" to enable or disable the
> > entire system.
> JS: YES!

I like the idea of a Noisebridger having it even less.  At least with Google
having it, you know it's going to be awesome politics that cause it to get
pulled, instead of inane ones.

The brilliant things about mailing lists are: 1) they're active, so oddities
get noticed immediately 2) everyone has a complete archive of the list (if
they so choose), and 3) everyone gets to choose their own interface to them.

That is to say: mailman is git to a forum's RCS.  I'd really rather keep it
that way, even if it means I have to put up with prattlings clearly from all
corners of the autistic spectrum.
--
/jbm