[Noisebridge-discuss] chemistry - extracting platinum from cat alytic converter "honeycomb" - how?

Patrick Keys citizenkeys at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 03:33:13 UTC 2011

anybody know how to extract the platinum from a catalytic converter
"honeycomb"?  california emission standards require special catalytic
converters that have (theoretically) between .1 ounces and .2 ounces of
platinum.  the platinum "honeycomb" is the catalyst that burns the
emissions to meet the high california emission standards.

long story short, i had to get a new catalytic converter.  usually, the
place you buy the new catalytic converter requires you give them the old
one to off-set the high cost of the rare earth elements.  california law
requires deep engraving of giant special serial numbers on all new
catalytic converters to track which ones have been tested as "california
approved".  i was able to keep the old one because the previous one was
bought out of state.

if anybody knows how to get the platinum from the old catalytic
converter, I'll bring it up to noisebridge.  we can make a video and put
it on youtube.

Here's another video I found that explains the value of platinum in
catalytic converters (seriously):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyfpuj4nOEI

Patrick