[Noisebridge-discuss] at noisebridge, vending machine hack you! (was vending machine fail)

Jared Dunne jareddunne at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 04:51:08 UTC 2011

Nick and I stocked the vending machine today.  I read the manual (gasp) a
bit beforehand and noticed a bit that instructs you to test vend newly
stocked product slots to "prime" them for use.  Nick and I did this and
noticed that it took one or two failed vends after a restock-from-empty
until cans would come out correctly.  I've done a bit of wiki cleanup and
added stocking instructions to help minimize vend fails going forward.  Hope
this deduces the dollar eating.

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Vending_machine
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Vending_machine#Stocking_the_machine

On the topic of dollar acceptor fails.  While we were "priming" the newly
stocked slots of the machine today, the dollar bill acceptor just stopped
taking bills.  Nick has a call out to Gary to get this fixed under our
warranty, but for now the vending machine is in coin only mode.  That said,
it's freshly restocked with Coke, Sprite, Diet Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, and
a handful of Diet Cokes left.  Bring your quarters for now.

I'd like to see that Raspberry Hansen's slot get stocked on the next round
of restocking, so that there is a High Fructose Corn Syrup free option for
peeps.  Keep your eyes out for discounted hippie sodas!  (There's a guy
giving Hansen's away as a promotion lately at Alemany Farmer's Market, maybe
I can get a case from him this Saturday.)

Oh, and thanks to Patrick for donating and installing new bulbs. Fancy!

Jared-