[Noisebridge-discuss] vending machine fail

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 00:02:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
A visitor at Noisebridge yesterday reported that the vending machine
took his money and didn't give a soda.

As a result, he's very unlikely to ever put money in the vending machine
again (no matter how much I tell him it's fixed).

What's our plan for dealing with this situation?

-andy

Show of hands from people who have lost money in a vending machine before or
been the lucky sonovabitch who walked up afterwards and got two drinks for
the price of one ...

You probably could never convince ME that the machine is 100% fixed and
permanently reliable, because it's a VENDING MACHINE, so I don't have any
suggestions for this situation except to let the person be. It's probably
best just to note on the machine that all proceeds are donations to nb or
used to restock, and if the machine eats their money, they won't be refunded
(asking you keyholders to guarantee returns would be extremely unfair --
customer service sucks, especially if you're volunteering). Donators can
think of it as the nb tip jar by the front door which occasionally returns
soda ... or use change.

I guess it would be most fair to put a sign on the machine to warn folks or
maybe just block up the bill slot if it's really terrible.

ALL DONATIONS FINAL. NOM NOM NOM DOLLAR BILLS.