[Noisebridge-discuss] Advisory about recent thefts at Noisebridge.

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Jul 9 21:23:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com> wrote:
> Is there a problem with just putting up cameras other than the obvious
> "oooOOOOOOoooo, lets hack that!" or the "waaaaaaah! I'm a 1337 hax0r, I
> don't WANNNA be on camera!"

There are probably legitimate reasons to not want to be filmed, and I
wouldn't want to alienate anyone that really feels like they need to
hide. I think as long as it was explicit where cameras are mounted and
what they're trained on, they can be avoided.

> Under California law, unless there is an expectation of privacy (and with
> what I've seen happen on the couches at noisebridge, there isn't) it's OK to
> post cameras.
>
> I would be 100% fine with cameras...especially if we rig them to detect
> awesome as it happens...like make beacons that alert the camera system that
> it's time to increase the frame rate and resolution of the camera because
> we're about to do something that needs to be documented for Make Benefit
> Glorious Nation of Noisebridge

I'm totally down more more security systems, cameras included.
However, I think we ought to at least build in some protections
against abuse, like not logging video for more than X days, making two
people log in to extract video, etc.