[Noisebridge-discuss] big, interesting donation

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 01:59:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
>
>> I may have misheard this, but I think that the research labs of a
>> prominent software/hardware company were throwing out a bunch of
>> stuff, including microcontroller programming kits, and assorted zigbee
>> and wifi goodies, and it got scooped up and given to us. It looks
>> *really* interesting -- this is the stuff that was on the tables
>> between sewing and electronics.
>>
>> Please remember it's not excellent to just whisk this stuff off to
>> your own garages!

I went through a lot of the donations over the last few days.  I personally
don't mind if folks take it away, if they need renesas M32C dev boards and
E8 flash programmers, there is now a whole box of them at Noisebridge, and 5
boxes of other dev boards as well.  I put some clearly useful development
tools into the Noisebridge EE lab development area.  Although most people at
Noisebridge don't know what these devices are or what they do, we probably
have a higher percentage of folks who do. In order to reach out to those who
are interested I started a google doc ( spreadsheet at
http://goo.gl/EyOa5) in order to list some features and quantities of
these boards.

Regardless, there is now a box of obscure electronics taking up a table at
Noisebridge.

Q:  What do we do with a box of programmers when we don't have programmers
to program them with?
A:  I present you with an incentive program:

I have $100 for the person or group to exhibit a permanent installation of
work that uses or incorporates these devices to extend them in some ways
beyond their EOL. Documentation required: The item is to be located or
hosted unobtrusively at Noisebridge and a document written as a how-to
describing the use, method, and implementation of the source material
incorporated into the creation shall be included in the submission.

If multiple submissions are made, then I'll propose a consensus item for a
Tuesday meeting to make a final decision on the awarded presentation. Do
this in August and we will review the projects in September.  I sure wish
there was something like 500-100 in the budget for these kinds of projects
than the measly 1oo that I just pitched (hint).

Project Ideas: Make remote controllable automatic curtains, an automatic
soda fountain, a decorative pinball game wall hanging, a pneumatic delivery
device, exquisite pcb scrimshaws, remote controlled lighting, demonstrate a
reverse engineering feat that opens these devices up for use by others, or
describe the safe handling of the valuable bits & proper decommissioning of
the dangerous bits in primary reduction primer.

-rma

ps
<big snip>

Several times I have been told by apparently responsible parties, that it is
> not safe to leave ongoing projects here. But obviously it is safer for some
> people than others.

grab some shelf space to store your projects when you aren't there.