[Noisebridge-discuss] Housekeeping history

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Jul 1 01:39:02 UTC 2011

Will Sargent wrote, On 20110630 143724:
> See, I think this "someone should step up and take responsibility" is part
> of the problem.  No-one wants to get stuck with the "I clean Noisebridge"
> job, and I can understand why.

It's our space, part of participating in a space is we all clean it.
That makes more sense to me then electing an official are paying someone
to do the job.

If you're looking for some place you don't need to clean up, might I
suggest looking for a commercial work share space.

Additionally if we get a facilities manager to deal with the space, why
bother cleaning up after yourself? At work I don't wash my own dishes,
the company I work for decided it's cheaper to hire somewhere else than
for its employees to waste their (highly expensive) time on that sort of
thing. I go to work to work and get paid for it.

Noisebridge is a community, I go there to participate in it. I wouldn't
see Noisebridge in the same light if we were paying someone to come in
and clean up after ourselves. We're not getting paid to go there and
work towards a business valued goal. It's our space and I think we
should work towards making it hospitable to whatever point we want it to be.

I like the idea that the current configuration, layout, where everything
is of Noisebridge happened because someone random, member or not decided
to make that happen. I like that I can show up and decide, "Well fuck
these fucking doors they don't belong here anymore" and move them
elsewhere without having to answer to someone who's getting paid to make
sure everything little thing is exactly where it should be. It would
feel like a very different place if someone got pissy at me for removing
a door, not because they're a total asshole member, but because they're
getting paid to be an asshole.

No one single person should have to spearhead this effort, the whole
community should. Considering the number of man hours wasted in this
debating through our mailing list and at meetings, how much cleaner
could have Noisebridge have gotten if we just had a single cleaning day
every 2 or 3 weeks?

Hell someone for a while had a cleaning thing setup at the end of every
meeting, that worked great when people paid attention to that last
agenda item.

You're all smart, hack a solution together people, make Noisebridge your
community.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net