[Noisebridge-discuss] Advisory about recent thefts at Noisebridge.

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:26:29 UTC 2011

I fucking love you Rachel. Noisebridge is not a freeschool annex, IMO.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm going to reply inline
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM, girlgeek <girlgeek at wt.net> wrote:
> > Adding my 2 cents.
> >
> > I second the suggestion of 10AM to 10PM (or earlier) open hours -  10PM
> > 10AM - 'members' only please.    I put 'members' in quotes because we can
> be
> > very liberal in what we consider a member for these purposes.
> > We might consider a $5/visit donation requirement which we can  forget to
> > ask of anyone who looks O.K.
> > We might consider a $2/visit donation of anyone who isn't a true monthly
> > paying member and solve some financial problems at the same time.
>
> all of these solutions require us to do some kind of vague but active
> people sorting, filtering, demanding money, closing the doors or
> kicking out of nonmembers.  i mean, what happens at 10pm?  who stands
> up and kicks out all those people we have spent two years telling that
> they can come in and work whenever they want?  Or do we just want to
> kick out problem people?  i fail to see how that differs from saying
> "let's kick out problem people" except for the second is far more
> honest.
>
> > We might consider a lock on the upstairs door that opens with the same
> key
> > or keypad as downstairs, but otherwise has to be opened by someone who
> > greets - and tells strangers to go away after 10PM.
>
> i like this better.  i also like the keypad/simply no longer buzzing
> people in solution, i think it's similar in effect.  I also would like
> to propose a similar solution: a passphrase.  to get buzzed in you
> must deliver the passphrase.  it could be distributed via wiki,
> mailing list, whatever.  i like the password over the keypad solution
> because i believe it has the same level of filter but more fun in
> implementation, and less work up-front to implement it it would
> require a greater behavioral change, but that might be a good thing.
> training people to have a small interaction with others to allow the
> others to enter could be a step in the right direction.
>
> > I like, "What are you here to work on?" as a filter of people.  We need
> an
> > acceptable response for Free School people like, "I'm part of the Free
> > School." but otherwise, anyone coming in who doesn't look right shouldn't
> be
> > here without a project.
>
> Um, fuck the free school.  I am sure that many of them are nice people
> but they have several spaces nearby they can use for their chanting
> circles/massage parties/talking about hippie stuff/whatever and being
> part of Free School is not a reason to hang out at noisebridge.
>
> working on creative technology projects is.
>
> working on creative technology projects is.
>
> working on creative technology projects is.
>
> working on creative technology projects is.
>

> > A slightly different aspect of the problem.  Say someone unexcellent
> [...]

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein