[Noisebridge-discuss] update on the shrine!

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jul 18 22:38:08 UTC 2011

On 07/18/2011 06:16 PM, Jason Dusek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 21:26, Michael C. Toren <mct at toren.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:35:30AM -0700, Rameen wrote:
>>> It seems like the main issue is that the Church class was
>>> being rearranged.
>>
>> No.
>>
>> The main issue, for many people, was that the shrine was being
>> used in a religious context.
>
> That this is an issue is a concern of mine. If it was, so what?
> A space that can accept so many other things can not accept the
> exercize of the Buddhist religion? I don't see on what basis we
> can do that. Personal dislike of religion?

The "so what" is that some people are not comfortable with it -
especially given the example of "how" it was done. You seem to
understand the latter but take issue with people taking issue in the
former case. Huh.

> The Rinpoche is not representative of organized religion in any
> sense; by that I mean, there is no lineage of Asian Buddhism to
> which he can be assigned, despite his adoption of the manner and
> titles of a few different lineages. There is thus no real
> exercize of religion here; so what should we call it?

The issue is not a matter of organisation. It does not matter if you
accept their "faith" or "practice " or whatever you'd like to call it.

Rinpoche's actions sound annoying and incompatible with Noisebridge. It
appears that his conflict resolution skills are also incompatible with
Noisebridge. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

Obviously people aren't happy with the Rinpoche's appropriation of the
space for whatever spiritual or non-spiritual quest he's undertaken.

( His crazy faith looks just as crazy as every other from where I'm
sitting. )

All the best,
Jake